Jul 8, 2008

Stampede

As a native Calgarian there is one event I'm always aware of and that's the Calgary Stampede. 10 days of tourists, parties, breakfasts, rodeos, and general fun.

I have always enjoyed marching in the parade once my feet go numb and this year was no different. We set off from the church at 6am which even for me is a little early....admittedly not that early and headed downtown. We hung out on the bus for a long time but eventually got to the band staging area and were able to head down for our pancake breakfast. Then back to the parking lot for our picture and off we went. I was glad it was overcast as this kept us from melting in the sun. It's always exciting to see someone I know along the route and this year I saw several and I've had more come up to me since to say they saw me.

Friday night we go to the grounds and see the chuckwagon races and grandstand show. The grandstand show was phenomenal and I loved the fireworks. It always seems like they're going to land on you but no actual fire (which if you know me you'll realise is a bit disappointing :) ).

Saturday is our carnival, BBQ and concert. So off to the church to enjoy the always fabulous food they have. I do love that beef on a bun. Then we had our program and I really enjoyed the guests. So much so that I decided to line dance right into them during the timbrel drill...never let it be said I'm shy or graceful.

So now I look forward to the rodeo on Wednesday and watching the tourists enjoy this great city of Alberta.

No comments: