Sep 19, 2011

I can do all things

Psalm 121 starts with a question "I lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from?" The question is answered in the next verse which states that my help comes from the Lord. Now I know that my help does not come from the hills but I look to the hills and that reminds me that my help comes from the creator of those hills. Those mountains that have stood for untold generations - the creator of those mountains is my strength and my shield. This of course always leads me to "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". That's not quite the NIV translation but it is what sticks in my head.

This verse came to my mind a lot this weekend - even for something small. I think most people don't want to be sick, many especially don't want to be sick on a weekend. However, as a single officer who has to be there on Sunday mornings this was a special fear of mine. So, when on Saturday I could barely move without being sick I was concerned. I was fortunate to be able to rest up so Sunday I could at least get up and get to the church. Then through the service I felt just fine. Afterwards was a different story, but what was important was being able to enjoy some wonderful worship with my church family and a time of fellowship. I can after all get better later....and I did

This was one of those tangible moments, but as that verse is with me always I know I'll remember it in the intangible moments too. Because God can do amazing things and I stand amazed every single time and look forward to that continuing here.

No comments: