Apr 1, 2012

Creative Exercises

I remember hearing a speaker a few of years ago who spoke of using both sides of our brain. He encouraged us to try and be creative, and do things differently...even something as simple as holding our toothbrush with the other hand when brushing our teeth. He told us that even something as simple as that helps us connect the left and right sides of our brains better so that we are more open to creative thinking. I really wish I could remember who the speaker was - I'll have to look in my records.

Now, admittedly at the time I thought "well, I already use either hand to brush my teeth", but that has more to do with the fact that I broke my right arm 3 times then any creativity. What I really took away from the presentation was that creative exercises are good for the brain. For me, they help me think outside the box and keep my mind open to various solutions and angles.

Right now, I have two of those creative exercises on the go. I'm doing a photo challenge for April - one of those deals where they give you a list of things that you need to take pictures of, one for every day. Well, in some ways this can be very easy but it can also be fun to try and find unusual or different angles to shoot from. The other thing I'm doing is the book - Wreck this journal. It's a journal that has pages of instructions that you follow in no specific order or format. These are providing me with a fair amount of entertainment and laughs - good times!

No comments: