Jan 18, 2013

Being a redhead

To be clear I am writing the below post strictly from my own opinion and point of view.

I read a newspaper article recently about...redheaded bullying. As I had no idea that this existed and am a natural redhead I was quite curious as to the nature of this article. It turns out that the article was honestly about people being bullied due to the colour of their hair. In all honesty, I'm not sure that this supposed bullying is any different than the other stereotyping of hair colour types but because redheads or "gingers" are so much more rare it has been allowed to be brought to our attention above and beyond the other colours. For that matter, the fact that this is an issue when there are other more concerning mistreatment issues in our world is an issue for me. Lets stop identifying types of bullying and just stop bullying in general.
I'm a redhead and yeah, I've been made fun of it for it but ya know...I bet most people who have just about any colour of hair have had jokes made at their expense too or any other appearance based issue and a bunch of other reasons too. Instead of retaliating I just move on (although the comments about having no soul because of being a redhead stung a bit) and laugh it off. It doesn't matter what colour my hair is or that I have glasses or am short. All that matters is that I am who God made me and I can roll with that. I don't mind being teased too much for being fiery like redheads are supposed to be but I hope that no one ever means it to hurt me or others but if they do...well I'll go with Matthew 5:38-42 and just maybe we'll have to stop saying we're attacking for any reason but sin in our world and can get on with no longer attacking.

Seems a bit silly to write on something like this but I just keep thinking about that article.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The color of hair or height or glasses play no role in my life, according to me being a good human being is more important than this.

B&B Brugge