Aug 14, 2010

Oh The Places You'll Go

Did anyone else ever read that Dr. Seuss book? Someone gave me that ages ago, and there it sits on my bookshelf, and I pull it out every once in awhile to read it over. Since I first read that book I have been to many places, and this summer has certainly seen its fair share of travelling.

St. John's - we arrived here for Congress & Commissioning and I will fly out of there again. It is a great city and I've always enjoyed my time there

Gander - I've mostly stopped here for meal breaks honestly. We did stop by the flight training school once and I've driven past the corps and the quarters but that's about it - other than food.

Grand Falls-Windsor - Here is a frequent stop for me. It is only an hour away from Robert's Arm and an often sought location for groceries, supplies for the church and other odds and ends. I have also gone into GFW for no reason at all, and for a funeral at the citadel.

Pilley's Island - this town/island is just up the road from Robert's Arm and is a good stop for food as that's where the Causeway or Bragg's is. Sunday nights this is the hot spot for the Robert's Arm/Pilley's crowd

Triton - This is the biggest of the three towns here and boasts its own hot spot in a place called PJ's which has some great food. The scenery here is crazy beautiful as it's right on the water. It also has a home hardware and I've gotten pretty familiar with Triton due to helping out with their VBS

Brighton - Wow! This place is scenery central with houses right by the water and some of the most amazing views I've seen

Springdale - When you don't want to go as far as GFW here is where you head. There are grocery options as well as multiple restaurants. Here is also the location of the nursing home and retirement home that I visited in my time here.

King's Point - This town is just before Springdale and has one of the most beautiful places to eat. The food is good too but as you are sitting all but in the ocean (which would be quite wet) it's hard to notice the food. There is also a great pottery shop with amazing work there.








Rattling Brook - There isn't a lot to this town but there is a beautiful water fall there if you're
interested in the sights and a trail that takes you right to the top. There's also a great old fashioned store which involves wrapping your purchases with twine and a bottle opener on the door for the pop.
















Coffee Cove - This tiny little town had some unexpected sights such as a field full of sheep and a seaside retreat which is very much a retreat as it's tucked away











Beachside - This has some of the most washed out roads I've ever been on and you certainly would need to enjoy isolation to live there

Harry's Harbour - Here is the location of the second corps on the King's Point/Harry's Harbour circuit.

Grand Bank - located on the Burin Peninsula Grand Bank is home to my officer here in Robert's Arm and has some lovely historical buildings around and a great sense of community.

St. Pierre - An island governed by the country of France this spot does a great job of maintaining its culture when inundated with Canadians



I've probably missed some places but these are a big chunk of where I've gone for the summer and some little snippets about them. I've enjoyed my opportunities to travel and sight see some of the area in and amongst my busy time here. A lot of these places are actually close together so we would simply take an afternoon to check them out.

1 comment:

Fred and Wendy said...

You might want to keep a small book to record the places you go as an officer...in the end the list will be long!