Aug 8, 2010

Roadtrip

I love road trips and think they are a blast. I was fortunate enough to grow up travelling across Canada with my first plane trip at the age of 6 all the way to Newfoundland and we used to drive to Toronto for part of the summer as well. I think travel is great and look forward to every opportunity to go in a plane or drive some distance. I can sleep in a car or a plane although I find it easier to sleep in a car and I also love to stare out the window and daydream or meditate. Travelling for me is a fantastic opportunity and so I was really excited to pack up the car and head to another part of Newfoundland and then - excitement of all excitements this summer - go to St. Pierre.

St. Pierre is an island off the coast of Newfoundland that is still governed by France. There is a ferry that runs out there twice a day and so off we went and took the ferry in. Now apparently it was a bit rough but honestly I wouldn't know the difference and was fine on the boat ride. I napped for part of the time and enjoyed the experience the rest of the ride. When we arrived in St. Pierre we cleared customs and went on our way. It was very foggy so we just wandered around rather than taking a bus tour. I was impressed at the way the culture of France is retained on an island located in North America.

I enjoyed wandering around some of the stores, getting some French pastries and visiting the graveyard. The graveyard is filled with some huge family graves and some of them are very old and falling apart. With the fog the graveyard looked very spooky and made it more fun for me as I like a bit of horror every once in awhile. I also really enjoyed the museum that we went to which contained a guillotine used in an execution in the 1800's. The story associated with the execution is quite intriguing as well, but too long to type out here (I know, I know, what a tease). I also enjoyed seeing some of the other historical information from the island - yes I like history, who knew ;).
My French got a work out as to get into the museum we had to change some Canadian into Euro's and of course no one at the bank speaks English so I was able to see just how much of my French was still intact and it turns out...a good chunk. I had no trouble understanding their French and they were able to decipher mine as well.
ortunity.

No comments: