Jan 1, 2011

New Year...Fresh Start?

So many people, so many New Years resolutions - some kept, some not, some unique, some typical....do you have any? That you're willing to admit to? I have a couple - although they have been around longer than today though so I'm not sure they count.

I did a bit of reading on New Years resolutions and one particular passage struck me as interesting. I'm not sure how historically accurate it is, but I read that Romans would count the herds and resolve to have more the following year. What struck me about that reading is that we often mock resolutions, won't admit to having them etc...and yet - when the new fiscal year rolls around and a company resolves to increase their holdings it makes the papers. When a church raises it's goals for giving or attendance we encourage and seek after that (as we should). These are forms of resolutions, ways to improve things and ourselves but we just have a different mindset about them. An odd thought to strike me but there it is...

For me I'm going to use the opportunity of a New Year the way I have for awhile - a continual fresh start (hopefully not too much of a contradiction in terms). A way to continue working on the goals that I've set to hopefully become a better person and to grow closer in my relationship with God and others.

2 comments:

Restaurants Brugge said...

Congratulate on New Year 2011,
Thanks for the posting you are great job for the visitors.

Travel Links said...

I am very happy to after read this post. I really like and I hope you will continue with nice and attractive post. Thanks for the sharing.