Feb 19, 2011

Banding

I play an instrument...it's a great instrument, admittedly not the most useful one if you're me, but it's one I love. It's the Eb horn and the reason I say it's not the most useful is because while there are some talented folks who can play anything on the horn I am not one of them. However, I love the horn and quite enjoy my harmonic parts in the band.

I've been missing the GTB lately (who wouldn't) even though I'm in a couple of bands here, and so we have a blog about being in a band :). This isn't a discussion about whether or not there should be bands anymore but just about how great a support the band has been to me.

I've been playing for over 20 years now (don't let this fool you, I started young, and so am still young) and for all of that time have been in a band of some sort - church, school etc...The support that I've been able to experience can't be underestimated. This was a group of people who were all coming together for the same reason - to make music. I will admit to finding the brass band experience at church the most fulfilling because to the level of making music you add the fact that everyone is now coming together to make music in praise to God. I think I can say without question that without the people who were in these groups. They have prayed for me, encouraged me and been shoulders to lean on pretty well my whole life.

So yes, I have had a great experience that has taught me to appreciate band. I love the music we create and the diversity that's available to a brass band. I mean hey, everything from marches, jazz, Broadway, Disney and much more is available. So for today - a nice shout out to the brass band world which has helped make me who I am today - geekiness and all :)

6 comments:

Ian McKenzie said...

So many comments I could make, so little time. ;-P

Fred and Wendy said...

The band experience was meaningful because you were committed to the group! I'm sure they miss you too.

By the way - have ever known your Dad not to have enough time to make a comment?

Kyla McKenzie said...

For that matter have you ever known a time when any of us have not had enough time to make a comment?

Romantic Dinner said...

Oh Wondering this post of band . Amazing your idea and nice details shared of Band instrument. thanks

Romantisch Hotel Brugge said...

Thanks for nice posting

b & b hotels india said...

this is So many comments I could make, so little time and Thanks for nice posting.................