Feb 5, 2011

Reflection

I still remember a discussion that I had in my Old Testament class in my very first semester here at training college and it was about the fairness of life. I was reminded of it recently as I was watching Babylon 5 and I heard a quote from my favourite character Marcus Cole. It's an episode where someone shows up who believes that they are King Arthur (Late Delivery from Avalon). However, even before the Arthur character arrives Marcus is having a discussion with the doctor and he says the following:

"You know, um…I used to think that it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

The discussion in class was about that very question - is life fair. Of course my automatic inclination is to say no! How could it be? But then a point was raised that made me see the question from a totally different perspective. If life were fair would the Son of God have come to earth and died for our sins? Now if you aren't a Christian this may not change your perspective at all, but it did change mine as I was reminded of the greatest gift to humanity that was ever given.

My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15:12-13

My little reflection for the morning.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Love it, thanks for that! =)

Fred and Wendy said...

Well said Kyla! You'll be a great communicator of the Gospel.

Romantic Dinner said...

What great story i love this post and i will say to thank you for the attractive posting.

Travel Tourism said...

Great story by posting you its very useful for the visitors and I think your job is perfect.