Nov 24, 2011

The Season of Advent

As hard as it is for me to believe, this week is the first Sunday of Advent. These four weeks we take some time to look at the coming of Jesus. To look at the events leading up to his birth and anticipate all the things that came to us because of his arrival here on earth. No matter how long it's been, how far away it may seem chronologically, I am always struck by the fact that he arrived helpless in a stable to start the journey of life that would lead to death on a cross. The love that this represents is staggering and something that I may never be able to fully comprehend while I'm here on earth. That love is for you and I every single day and while we take a few short weeks to focus on it leading up to Christmas we should remember it always.
My goal this year (other than to survive Christmas) is to take some time to focus on the Advent - not just the actual arrival, but on the anticipation of the arrival. To focus on the fact that he is coming and to remember what that arrival would mean. I don't want to rush through the next four weeks spiritually, but rather try to savour what Christmas means and what these weeks promise.

No comments: