Nov 1, 2011

Are you prepared?

I've been thinking a lot since I read a blog post from a blog I frequent about our willingness to take on challenges. Reformation day was October 31 and it's a big day in Christian Church History. Martin Luther was willing in a big way to take on what had been the church for a very long time - he was willing to stand up for what he believed in. Now it took a long time to see the fruits of those labours and in some ways we are probably still waiting because the church is ever imperfect as we are imperfect. However, he knew he had to take the step because it was what he believed, and was utterly convicted was the right step.

The thing is though the rest of the church had to deal with that conflict and over the years that hasn't always been shown in a loving and good manner, although sometimes it was. However, it's a typical reaction - we do not always do well when people confront our beliefs and values. I think though that a little conflict is not always a bad thing.

For me at least, conflict pushes me to examine why it is I'm stuck on my beliefs. It makes me think and grow more in the knowledge of both sides. Most of the time, well for the really important things, I come down on the same side I always did, but at least then I know why. So if you're interested in knowledge then conflict is probably coming your way - are you prepared?

Martin Luther nailed a thesis into a door, wrote letters, books, and other documents and made good arguments because he knew what he was fighting, I hope I can defend my faith just as well and that I can do it better and better as I grow in my knowledge. I wish to be prepared to face it.

No comments: