Jun 13, 2010

First Year

Well, here I am facing down the end of my first school year at CFOT and about to embark on my Summer assignment. Everything here is winding down as we hand in last assignments, pack, clean and rehearse for commissioning. I have 3 days before I head out to Newfoundland for congress and then my Summer Assignment. There are lists upon lists as I figure out what to bring, what to do and how I'm going to manage it all before I go. The joy for me of a deadline like this is what I don't finish isn't getting done before I leave. I live for those do or die deadlines :-).

The past ten months (give or take) have been incredible for me in so many ways. I have inexplicably found that I love academic classes. Not all aspects of them of course, but I really get into the many discussions we have and I love the research. History is my real passion and as soon as a course contains that then look out the big geek has arrived. Academics were a big area of concern for me when I was coming into CFOT and while I still have some hurdles to work through they are certainly not a big concern now.

My field placements have been amazing learning experiences at both my Sunday brigade and my mid-week field. I have learned a great deal from my supervisors at those locations although in many ways it simply becomes clearer how much I still have left to learn. That whole "still have left to learn" aspect is really the theme of my training time. It seems that every time I turn around I find something else I still need to learn or work on.

It has been an amazing 10 months with amazing experiences and God has really moved in my life. I really can't wait to see what he has in store for me over the Summer and then in year two of my CFOT time.

No comments: