Aug 4, 2011

Sermon Series

So here I am in my first appointment and I'm slowly getting the hang of things here and getting used to living in Fernie (and trying to figure out what this community choir's all about and if I can join). One of the things to get used to and adjust for my schedule is this preaching thing. I am privileged to bring a sermon forward every week and I pray constantly that my words be what God wants me to say.

A challenge with sermons can be what to preach on and in my summer assignment last year I enjoyed the preaching calendar and this year I'm trying out the legendary "sermon series". This is a series of sermons with a connecting theme - book of the Bible, focus, etc...My first crack at this is an idea I had last year and that's Golden Boys of the Bible. I wanted something that wouldn't be difficult to follow if you missed a week as people are away frequently in the summer, but something that still fits the theme concept.

The Golden Boys of the Bible looks at those heroes of the faith such as Abraham, Jacob, Joseph and David. These are only a few of the heroes of course but these are the ones I'm looking at. The overarching theme of this is that God is faithful to people - to people who screw up, who don't always do what their told and sometimes flat out do wrong stuff, but God is always faithful. It's a lot of fun as a series actually and I'm really enjoying a chance to look through these amazing stories and to be reminded just how much God does (have I mentioned I love the Old Testament).

Anyway this is one of many series I have cooking. I also have Sermon on the Mount, why we celebrate (pentecost, the sacrifice etc...), Old Testament Law (not all of them), books of the Bible and others. Now these won't go from series to series to series or anything but they are those series I pray about to hopefully see when is the right time to preach them. My questions is this - what are your views on series and what series do you think of?

3 comments:

jackie said...

I love series....you do have to be creative, and careful with timing or they can wear thin. But they are a great way of being organized and having a direction with your preaching, thus freeing up time for other important ministerial duties!

Ian McKenzie said...

Does Doctor Who Series 6 count? ;-D

Kyla McKenzie said...

Well as there are new episodes of Doctor Who starting at the end of August....why not