Oct 24, 2011

Sherlock

When I was much younger (can't remember when) I got hooked on Sherlock Holmes mysteries. To this day I cannot tell you why they interest me, but I still love reading them. I have an old paperback collection of some of the more popular stories and then I have a big hardback book that has the entire collection of Sherlock Holmes mysteries. My paperback novel is my travel version. I haul out the hardback at home only.
As I enjoy the book versions I have checked out a few TV versions and of course the latest movie as well. They aren't bad but with the help of my cousins I found an absolutely brilliant adaptation (in my personal opinion) in the form of the new series Sherlock. It is a modernized version of Sherlock Holmes based on the novels. The main characters and principal quirks are the same but done with a modern twist. So for example Dr. John Watson blogs instead of writes down the stories.
The characters are similar to the original characters...Watson is a bit more active and involved, Sherlock is more openly rude to the police, but for the most part they are very similar. Also, quite frankly Watson is a little less agreeable and I think that's more realistic for a roommate that would have been as annoying as Sherlock Holmes.
The mysteries themselves are not the same as in the books, but if you know the stories well enough you can see the pieces they have extracted from the various mysteries written by Arthur Conan Doyle.
This is a great series and I highly recommend it. If you have watched it I would also enjoy a discussion as to what and how they've adapted it to our day :-).

2 comments: