Jul 13, 2012

Madeleine L'Engle

Maybe I should write my blogs on books or authors as I seem to always have something to say regarding that and heaven knows I read enough to have a source...we'll see.

On to today's topic - Madeleine L'Engle is perhaps best known for her Wrinkle in Time or Kairos series which is what I have read of hers. The books are not difficult to read and yet contain some fairly complex aspects. As she combines (well combined I guess would be more accurate) simplicity and complexity with grace, so too did she combine science and Christianity. Many people would say that those cannot be combined and yet she proves that very obviously false in her books. Along with those that cry out that science and faith cannot be combined there are people who will say that her theology was wrong and we should not read them. However, what I have personally found in her books is an overwhelming story of a God who loves his children and the impact even one small life can have on an entire world....even if we don't realize it.

Love and grace are evident in her Kairos series for sure as are many quotes from the Scriptures. Those stories also promote that every person has a place in this world no matter how different they may seem from their family, community or town, and that every person has a part to play. Her emphasis on our inter-dependence on each other is a good reminder for me that we all really do have an impact no matter what we may think through our lives.

Let's always remember Psalm 139:13-16 (the rest of the Psalm is also a really good one for those down days):
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because  I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. 
My frame was not hidden from you when  I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

So, check out Madeleine L'Engle, just because she first appears to be for children doesn't mean you won't get something out of it.


No comments: