Jul 24, 2010

Music Camp at Twin Ponds

What a great week it was!!! What a tiring week it was!!!

Due to a funeral on Saturday afternoon I did not arrive at music camp until Saturday evening, but as soon as I arrived I dived right in. I got myself set up in the junior girls cabin, enjoyed some evening activities and then the campfire. Sunday I was off to the races as I played in the faculty band, led a song and got my assignments for the following week. I started off covering a level one theory class and teaching level one instrumental but was switched to junior vocal. I was only a relief theory teacher so that gave me some free time off and on throughout the week.


I was also on to lead the drama elective and that was a lot of fun. We played some drama games and did a dramatization of the song "The Twenty-First Time" which I highly recommend that you listen to if you get a chance. The kids did a great job even through the nerves of performing. There were many other performances through the week of various skits, electives and general craziness as well as the musical offerings. In fact on faculty night my session mate and I did a skit on a day in the life of a cadet that went over very well. We were also made honourary Newfoundlanders along with the vocal guest and her two daughters and another
session mate who came along for Friday and Saturday of camp.

The music aspect to this was very enriching for me as I experienced a great time in faculty band and the mixed choir. It is nice to have been playing my instrument again on a regular basis. I also really enjoyed the worship - through practicing, performing and general participation. On Sunday evening I was one of the group that headed to the Starfield concert in Grand Falls-Windsor and wow....to spend a couple of hours outside, listening to and worshiping with great music was fantastic. It really prompted me to think about freedom of worship and freedom in worship and what that means for each individual and how to promote that in any setting.

I was truly blessed to spend that week in Twin Ponds meeting some great kids and wonderful faculty members and I am very thankful for the opportunity. Now to get over this cold

No comments: